General Tax Incentives for Industries
August 10, 2009
– 100% deduction of profits and gains for ten years is available in respect of the following:
– Any enterprise carrying on the business of developing, maintaining and operating infrastructure facilities viz., roads, highways, bridges, airports, ports, rail systems, industrial towns, inland waterways, water supply projects, water treatment systems, irrigation projects, sanitation and sewage projects, solid waste management systems.
– Undertakings engaged in generation or generation and distribution, transmission or distribution of power, which commence these activities before 31.3.2006.
– Any company engaged in scientific and industrial research and development activities, approved by the prescribed authority, before 31.3.2003.
– Any undertaking which develops, operates, maintains an Industrial Park or Special Economic Zone before 31.3.2006.
– Notified Industrial Undertakings set up in the North Eastern region including seven north-eastern states and the state of Sikkim.
– Undertakings developing and building housing projects approved by the local authority before 31.3.2001and which are completed before 31.3.2003.
– 100% deduction for seven years for undertakings producing or refining mineral oil.
– 100% deduction from income for first five years and 30% (for persons other than companies: 25%) in subsequent five years is available in respect of the following:
– Company which starts providing telecommunication services whether basic or cellular including radio paging, domestic satellite service, network or trunking, broad band network and internet services before 31.3.2003.
– Industrial undertakings located in certain specified industrially backward states and districts.
– Undertakings which begin to operate cold chain facilities for agricultural produce before 31.3.2003.
– Undertakings engaged in the business of handling, storage, transportation of food grains.
– 50% deduction for a period of five years is available to undertakings engaged in the business of building, owning and operating multiplex theatres or convention centres constructed before 31.3.2005.
– Tax exemption of 100% on export profits for ten years upto F.Y. 2009-10, for new industries located in EHTPs and STPs and 100% Export Oriented Units. For units set up in Special Economic Zones (SEZs), 100% deduction of export income for first five years followed by 50% for next two years, even beyond 2009-10.
– Tax exemption of 100% of Export profits for ten years for new industries located in Integrated Infrastructure Development Centres or Industrial Growth Centres of the North Eastern Region.
– Deduction of 50% of export profits from the gross total income. The deduction would be restricted to 30% for financial year 2003-04 and no deduction is allowable subsequently.
– Deduction from the gross total income of 50% of foreign exchange earnings by hotels and tour operators. The deduction would be restricted to 30% for financial year 2003-04 and no deduction is allowable subsequently.
– 50% deduction of export income due to export of computer software or film software, television software, music software, from the gross total income. The deduction would be restricted to 30% for financial year 2003-04 and no deduction is allowable subsequently.
– Deduction in respect of certain inter-corporate dividends to the extent of dividend declared.
– Exemption of any income by way of dividend, interest or long term capital gains of an infrastructure capital fund or an infrastructure capital company from investment made by way of shares or long term finance in any enterprises carrying on the business of developing, maintaining and operating infrastructure facility.