Open Source Products
Generically, Open Source refers to a program in which the source code is available to the general public for use and/or modification from its original design free of charge, i.e., opens. Open source code is typically created as a collaborative effort in which programmers improve upon the code and share the changes within the community. Open source develops in the technological community as a response to proprietary software owned by corporations.
The free software movement was launched in 1983. In 1998, a group of individuals advocated that the term free software be replaced by open source software (OSS) as an expression which is less ambiguous and more comfortable for the corporate world. Software developers may want to publish their software with an open source license, so that anybody may also develop the same software or understand how it works. Open source software generally allows anybody to make a new version of the software, port it to new operating systems and processor architectures, share it with others or market it. The aim of open source is to let the product be more understandable, modifiable, duplicatable, reliable or simply accessible, while it is still marketable.
The following are the organizations and products that are developing the open source products
- Apache Software Foundation
- Blender — 3d animation
- Drupal — Content Management System
- Eclipse Foundation
- Free Software Foundation
- GIMP — Image Editing similar to photoshop
- Joomla — Content Management System
- KnowledgeTree — Document Management for Teams and Small to Medium-sized Organizations
- Macaulay2 — algebraic geometry and commutative algebra
- Miranda IM — multiprotocol IM
- Mozilla Foundation
- OpenOffice.org — Word processor, spreadsheet, presentation tool, database, equation editor
- Open Source Development Labs
- Open Source Initiative
- PHP — Hypertext preprocessor
- Povray — Ray Tracer
- Restore — RESTORE is an open source project for heterogeneous system backup and restore.
- SourceForge — Repository of open source software
- Subversion (software) — version control
The following are the Business Application Open source Products.
- Compiere ￢ﾀﾔ ERP solution automates accounting, supply chain, inventory and sales orders.
- ERP5 ￢ﾀﾔ Python and Zope based ERP
- PayThyme ￢ﾀﾔ Payroll software
- Quasar Accounting